DescriptionRoger Chaffee: Three Personally-Owned and Signed Books from his Youth Originally from the Personal Collection of His Daughter. Read and saved by Chaffee, the type of material one might expect a young boy growing up during the war years in Grand Rapids, Michigan, to read. Maybe these books influenced his career path of aeronautical engineer, naval aviator, and then astronaut. Each book is signed "Roger Chaffee" on the free front endpaper. Certainly a rare group of signed personal items from a future astronaut. The books are in fair condition overall with general wear and soiling. Pencil scribbling noted. As follows.
(1) Dave Dawson at Singapore by R. Sidney Bowen (Akron: Saalfield Publishing Company, 1942), 250 pages, brown cloth with black lettering, 5.5" x 8". Partial, damaged dust jacket present. Book #6 in the War Adventure Series.
(2) Dave Dawson with the Pacific Fleet by R. Sidney Bowen (Akron: Saalfield Publishing Company, 1942), 249 pages, red cloth with black lettering, 5.5" x 8". Book #7 in the War Adventure Series.
(3) Dave Dawson on the Russian Front by R. Sidney Bowen (Akron: Saalfield Publishing Company, 1943), 252 pages, green cloth with black lettering, 5.5" x 8". Book #10 in the War Adventure Series.
Dave Dawson War Adventure book series consisted of fifteen titles published between 1941 and 1946 by Crown Publishers. Written by Robert Sidney Bowen for young boys, they followed the adventures of American RAF pilot Dave Dawson and fellow flyer Freddy Farmer. By the end of the war, the series had sold over two million copies. These copies, published by Saalfield Publishers are early reprints of the originals. The Dave Dawson series was a childhood favorite of author Stephen King and is mentioned in his book, On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft.
Fees, Shipping, and Handling Description: Books & Catalogs (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
25% on the first $100,000 (minimum $14), plus 20% of any amount between $100,000 and $1,000,000, plus 12% of any amount over $1,000,000 per lot.
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
Learn about consigning with us
The pre and post sales experience was wonderful and flawless. Heritage has the best in-house operation I have ever seen and their people are not only professional but fun to work with, especially Steve C.View More Testimonials
As for Heritage's online system… Yes the interface is more complex than what we are used to with SAN but what is behind that interface is amazing for sellers and buyers alike. It is real time and for a real serious auction buyer there is nothing better in the auction industry, bar none.
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. (Source: Similarweb.com)