Lunar Bible number 14-10: "The Masonic Library Exhibit Copy"Apollo 13 Flown and Apollo 14 Lunar Module Flown Complete Lunar Bible Copy Number 14-10, with Certificate of Authenticity Signed by Apollo 14 Lunar Module Pilot Ed Mitchell and Apollo Prayer League Representative James W. Stout. A 1.5" x 1.5" complete Microform Bible, one of only twelve Astronaut Flight-Certified Bibles of its kind, resting within a hand-made reliquary containing over one-half troy pound (6.6 troy ounces) of 22 Karat gold beset with symbolic gemstones. The handmade full-calf binding within which the solid gold reliquary rests is by Don Etherington, parchment consultant to the National Archives for the "Declaration of Independence" and "U.S. Constitution"; it is all contained within a custom deluxe red leather presentation display (30" x 13" opened) with the accompanying Certificate of Authenticity. This rare complete Lunar Bible contains all 1245 pages of the King James Bible (both Old and New Testaments); it appropriately contains the account of God's creation of the Moon in Genesis 1:16, and was printed as a miniature Microform book out of necessity, given the size and weight constraints for flight to the lunar surface. Excellent.
A companion Lunar Bible (Copy 14-8: "The Museum of the Bible" example) is currently on display at the Vatican ("Verbum Domini II") between April 2 and June 22, 2014. Vatican Radio's recent press release titled "Bible Exhibit Opens in Vatican" mentions only three of the more than 200 artifacts in the exhibit by name: the Dead Sea Scrolls, the Codex Vaticanus, and the Lunar Bible.
One hundred complete copies of the Lunar Bible landed on the Moon during Apollo 14 in the Personal Preference Kit ("PPK") of Moonwalker Edgar D. Mitchell (after having been previously flown to the Moon aboard the Apollo 13 mission). This Bible thus flew to the Moon twice, having circled it once on Apollo 13 and then accomplishing its purpose by landing on the Moon during Apollo 14! It then spent three days housed in the Lunar Module Antares, where it resided under the one-sixth gravity of the Moon and was exposed directly to the lunar environment each time the hatch was opened for moonwalks.
Exhibitions: The Atlanta Masonic Library & Museum "The Lunar Bible Exhibit" Copy. On November 17, 2006, astronaut Edgar D. Mitchell personally opened the "Lunar Bible Exhibit" at the "Atlanta Masonic Library & Museum", featuring Copy 14-10 of the Lunar Bible. Copy 14-10 is thus the same Bible memorialized in photographs with Mitchell and dignitaries at the exhibit opening. Thereafter on regular display from 2006 - 2014, during which time it was viewed by countless visitors.
This Lunar Bible:
• Is one of the "Twelve Apostles" copies of the Lunar Bible, consisting of the twelve complete Lunar Bibles officially flight-certified by Edgar D. Mitchell and James W. Stout (former "Apollo Prayer League Governing Committee Official") in the millennial year 2000.
• Is the first printing of the Bible ever carried by mankind to landfall on another celestial world to symbolize God's universal presence, and as such of supreme worldwide religious importance.
• Is the first published book ever carried by mankind to landfall on another celestial world, and as such of profound importance to the rare book community worldwide.
• Landed on the Moon with Masonic astronauts Alan B. Shepard and Edgar D. Mitchell, and as such of profound importance within the Masonic world given that Freemasons carried it.
• Is perhaps the supreme marriage of science and religion within any physical object on Earth, for in a poetical sense this is a "Bible built by God carried in a rocket built by Man".
• Includes an original copy of the 2005 notarized affidavit from James W. Stout relating the history of the Lunar Bible project. You may also read "The Story of the First Lunar Bible" on-line at www.lunarbible.com.
I CERTIFY that this HOLY BIBLE, engraved with Serial Number 14-10, and containing all 1245 pages of the King James Version of the Old and New Testaments,
Is One Of Only 12 Astronaut Flight-Certified Bibles Ever Carried By Mankind To The Surface Of Another World!
In 1967, a group of NASA employees formed The Apollo Prayer League, dedicated to landing the first Bibles on the Moon. Led by John Stout, the League perfected a complete Bible small and light enough to accompany an astronaut's personal effects to the Moon's surface. A total of 512 Microform Bibles were then submitted for flight.
Astronaut Jim Lovell carried all 512 Bibles on Apollo 13, the first flight available, which aborted and failed to land. I was then given 300 of those same Bibles to fly again on Apollo 14: 100 copies for use in a second landing attempt, and 200 extra copies to remain behind aboard our Command Module Kittyhawk in lunar orbit.
The 100 lunar-surface Bibles were stowed in my PPK Bag aboard our Lunar Module Antares. On February 5,1971, they made their historic landfall with Alan Shepard and me on the Moon at Fra Mauro, and remained for 34 hours. Four days later, they returned to Earth within a 25,000 mph fireball, and splashed down in the Pacific Ocean.
After the flight, a portion of the Apollo 14 lunar-surface Bibles were cut-up into tiny 50-page text fragments, and presented to dignitaries. Fewer then 100 complete lunar-surface Bibles thus remain in existence today.
This Intact Copy is one of only 12 Complete Lunar-Surface Bibles I have ever flight-certified to date!
As a complete printed text, it is also among the first 12 astronaut flight-certified books ever carried by mankind to the surface of another world!
This Holy Bible also remains one of the few objects on Earth ever flown twice to the Moon!
Within this delicate tablet, mankind forged a union between its spiritual desire to glorify God on another world, and the technical ability to condense, print, and transport an entire Holy Bible to its first heavenly landfall.
Dated the 21st Day of May, A.D. 2000
[Signed] James W. Stout/ Apollo Prayer League Committee
[Signed] Edgar D. Mitchell/ Apollo 14 Lunar Module Pilot"
Fees, Shipping, and Handling Description: Miscellaneous Collectibles, Large (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
25% on the first $100,000 (minimum $14), plus 20% of any amount between $100,000 and $1,000,000, plus 12% of any amount over $1,000,000 per lot.
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
Learn about consigning with us
I believe the quality of your auction service represents a goal to which all other auction companies aspire.View More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. (Source: Similarweb.com)