Description2001 Les Paul-Owned 9/11 Les Paul Standard Plus Electric Guitar #02441367. A unique opportunity to own one of Les Paul's actual guitars. You don't have to be old enough to remember that Les Paul played with Mary Ford to appreciate this guitar. Nicknamed "The 9/11 Les Paul" guitar, this Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus was donated in 2002 by Les Paul himself and auctioned off to raise money for a New York charity, set up to benefit the surviving spouses and their children of fallen firefighters.
Artist painted scenes over a premium maple flamed top depict:
1) Firefighters in a ladder bucket fighting the fire.
2) A N.Y.F.D. badge draped in mourner's black.
3) A candle vigil in memory of the firefighters who lost their lives on 9/11 with a partial view of a fire truck and fire helmet #343. There is also a banner that reads "New York's Sept. 11 2001 Bravest".
4) There is also a scene with 2 firefighters planting an American flag at Ground Zero.
Les Paul autographed the top face of the guitar "Les Paul" in black as well as inside the back of the control cavity cover "To Mark Keep Pickin! Les Paul" in silver leaf. Gibson hard case. Condition: Mint.
1) The 12/27/2002 FedEx Airbill addressed to owner from Gibson Guitar Corp-CMI.
2) A letter of provenance verifying Les Paul's ownership from Gibson Musical Instruments addressed to owner from Reno Kling, Director @ Gibson Guitar Corp. in Nashville, TN.
3) A Gibson Press Release featuring the New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, celebrity Marc Anthony and Thomas Mottola, Chairman/CEO Sony Music Entertainment posing with the guitar announcing the return of the Grammies to NYC.
4) Copy of Gibson Press Release entitled:
"Les Paul's 9/11 Gibson guitar on display at Madison Square Garden"
Legendary guitarist and innovator Les Paul has donated one of his personal Gibson Les Paul model guitars to raise funds for the Uniformed Firefighters' Association Widows and Children Fund. Peter Ortel, a retired New York City fireman from Rescue 3, painted the poignant September 11 scenes and the 9/11 Les Paul is now on display in the lobby of Madison Square Garden in New York City, in a Gibson security display case.
5) Copy of Gibson 2 Page Press Release: entitled:
"Hand Painted 9/11 Les Paul Up for eBay Charity Auction"
6) Copy of Gibson Press Release entitled:
"American Red Cross/Helping.org"
7) Copy of Gibson's Website Intro entitled:
"Imagine All The People Living Live In Peace..."
8) A copy of The Les Paul Story
9) A Gibson Pure Guitar Catalog
The winning bidder from the 2002 auction and current owner of this incredible guitar has 2 daughters, ages 19 & 21, with cystic fibrosis. As of last December, the young women have started speaking at inspirational engagements to groups of up to 2,500 people. The consignor is selling the guitar to eliminate his family's medical bills. Once realized the owner will donate 35% of the sales price between the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and the the Boomer Esiason Foundation. Heritage Auctions will be donating 15% of the hammer price from this guitar to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation through the local Central Texas Cystic Fibrosis Chapter.
Note: We expect this lot to come up for auction at approximately 1:45 pm Pacific Time. Lots are planned for approximately every 15 minutes but could vary and be faster or slower. Check HA.com./live to track the progress of the auction.
Fees, Shipping, and Handling Description: Requires 3rd Party Shipping (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
19.5% of the successful bid (minimum $14) per lot.
Opens about 01/02/2018
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
Learn about consigning with us
You reach a customer base that is in many ways completely unknown to the major auction houses, and your marketing to this base is as professional as one could hope for. As I continue to wind down my holdings.View More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. (Source: Similarweb.com)