DescriptionRoger Chaffee: Five Personally-Owned and Signed Books from his Youth Directly from the Personal Collection of His Daughter Sheryl. Does what you read as a young person affect you later in life? What might a future Purdue graduate and naval aviator read growing up? Well, let's take a look at these volumes for some answers. Each book is signed "Roger Chaffee" on the free front endpaper.
(1) The Hoosier School-boy by Edward Eggleston (New York: Grosset & Dunlap, wartime edition), 261 pages, red cloth with blue lettering, 5.25" x 7.5". The signature in this one is quite childlike, the rest are more similar to his adult signature.
(2) Dave Dawson with the R.A.F. by R. Sidney Bowen (Akron: Saalfield Publishing Company, 1941), 252 pages, green cloth with black lettering, 5.5" x 8". Book #2 in the War Adventure Series.
(3) Dave Dawson at Singapore by R. Sidney Bowen ((Akron: Saalfield Publishing Company, 1942), 250 pages, brown cloth with black lettering, 5.5" x 8". Partial, damaged dust jacket present. Book #6 in the War Adventure Series.
(4) Dave Dawson with the Pacific Fleet by R. Sidney Bowen ((Akron: Saalfield Publishing Company, 1942), 249 pages, red cloth with black lettering, 5.5" x 8". Book #7 in the War Adventure Series.
(5) Dave Dawson on the Russian Front by R. Sidney Bowen ((Akron: Saalfield Publishing Company, 1943), 252 pages, green cloth with black lettering, 5.5" x 8". Book #10 in the War Adventure Series.
Certainly a rare group of signed personal items from a future astronaut. The books are in fair condition overall with general wear and soiling. Pencil scribbling noted in a couple. The Dave Dawson War Adventure book series consisted of fifteen titles published between 1941 and 1946 by Crown Publishers. Written by Robert Sidney Bowen for young boys, they followed the adventures of American RAF pilot Dave Dawson and fellow flyer Freddy Farmer. By the end of the war, the series had sold over two million copies. These copies, published by Saalfield Publishers are early reprints of the originals. The Dave Dawson series was a childhood favorite of author Stephen King and is mentioned in his book, On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft.
Fees, Shipping, and Handling Description: Books & Catalogs (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
19.5% of the successful bid (minimum $14) per lot.
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
Learn about consigning with us
Heritage Auctions and Mr. Chad Reingold were...professional and courteous in all transactions and provided outstanding service in answering my many emails. I recommend them at the highest level.View More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. (Source: Similarweb.com)