DescriptionAbraham Lincoln Assassination Relics: A Remarkable Collection of Six From the Legendary Oliver Barrett Collection On February 20, 1952, Parke-Bernet Galleries in New York sold the Lincoln Collection of Oliver Barrett, still regarded as the most extensive and important ever offered for public sale. The present group was sold as lot 694, and, although each item could certainly stand on it's own as a separate lot, it seems somehow wrong to dismember this group which has now existed as such for over half a century. It consists of:
1) A piece of lead from the lining of Lincoln's coffin, with affidavit from C. H. Morse dated April 17, 1865 just days after the assassination.
2) A piece of paper taken from the Peterson home, where the President expired, and bearing a large sample of his blood. Also with an April 17 affidavit from Morse.
3) A piece of fringe from the catafalque which supported Lincoln's coffin in the State House at Springfield, Illinois.
4) A silver star from the canopy which overhung the coffin there, with unsigned affidavit clearly in the ink and handwriting of the 1860s period, and a detailed letter of provenance dated 1890.
5) A piece of damask cloth from the chair in which Lincoln sat at Ford's Theatre, with apparent 19th century descriptive notes.
6) A piece of coat worn by Lincoln, and allegedly "identical" to the coat he wore when assassinated. The coat was given by Mrs. Lincoln to Mr. Dorn, an attaché at the White House, and was obtained from Mrs. Dorn. Accompanied by a circa 1870s note of provenance, unsigned.
Each of these six pieces is accompanied by "period" documentation, and additionally enjoy the fabled Barrett Collection provenance. An exceptional group of relics of the most beloved American Presidents. From the Henry E. Luhrs Collection. Accompanied by LOA from PSA/DNA.
Fees, Shipping, and Handling Description: Small Flat (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
19.5% of the successful bid (minimum $9) per lot.
Opens about 01/02/2018
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
Learn about consigning with us
Heritage Auctions and Mr. Chad Reingold were...professional and courteous in all transactions and provided outstanding service in answering my many emails. I recommend them at the highest level.View More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. (Source: Similarweb.com)