DescriptionMcMullen-McGloin Colony: 1838. Comprises: 1) Nathaniel Townsend. Document Signed "Nathl. Townsend" as Consul for the Republic of Texas in New Orleans, one page, 7.75" x 9.75". New Orleans, January 31, 1838. Partly printed, completed in manuscript. Townsend certifies that "Wm Boswell whose name is subscribed to the annexed Power of Attorney is acting in the capacity of Notary Public in this city and that full faith and credit are given to all his acts as such." Horizontal folds. Remnant at upper right from prior attachment to accompanying Power of Attorney. Embossed "Consul of the Republic of Texas New Orleans" Lone Star seal affixed at lower left. Fine condition.
2) William Boswell. Manuscript Document Signed "William Boswell/Nr. Pub.," two pages, 8.5" x 13.75", front and verso. New Orleans, January 31, 1838. In part, "Personally came and appeared Mr. John Houlihan of McMullen and McGlone's [sic] Colony, Republic of Texas who declared that he does by these presents appoint and in his place and stead put Mr. John McMullen, Empresario of the Colony of San Patricio to be his true and lawful attorney...to obtain possession of the one undivided half of a certain tract of land lying on the waters of the atoscoso [sic, Atascosa] in the Colony of John McMullen, being the same which he obtained from the Government of Coahuila and Texas as a colonist to cultivate the said land, consent to a division of the said land..." Chipped at all edges, not affecting text. Portion missing at upper left where Townsend document had been attached. Very good condition. John Houlihan was one of the original land grantees in the McMullen-McGloin colony of San Patricio de Hibernia in Texas. He received his grant in 1835. His land was around the present-day town of Whitsett, Live Oak County, Texas. The McMullen-McGloin colony was founded in 1828 by John McMullen and James McGloin after an empresario contract originally granted to John G. Purnell and Benjamin D. Lovell was relinquished. The contract called for settling 200 families on the left bank of the Nueces River above the coastal reserve. In the summer of 1829, McMullen and McGloin went to New York to recruit colonists, targeting recently arrived Irish immigrants who were not yet established; they found several hundred willing colonists. In October 1831, the colonists laid out a town on the east bank of the Nueces, which they called San Patricio de Hibernia, or St. Patrick of Ireland, for the patron saint of their homeland. Descendents of some of the original colonists still live in the area. From the collection of Darrel Brown.
Fees, Shipping, and Handling Description: Flat Material, Small (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
19.5% of the successful bid (minimum $9) per lot.
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
Learn about consigning with us
The department director has the heart of a true and highly knowledgeable collector with the business acumen of someone who has been not only successful but has decades of an impeccable track recordView More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. (Source: Similarweb.com)