DescriptionGeorgia O'Keeffe Collection containing items O'Keeffe left in Canyon, Texas, from her stay there, 1912-1918.
1. Autograph letter signed, one page, 8.5" x 11", Albuquerque, New Mexico, August 8, 1955, to Mrs. Shirley. In part: "When you were here you told me that I still have two barrels of some thing at your house. I can't imagine what is in them but suppose I had better not let them stay there forever. . . .Sincerely, Georgia O'Keeffe". With envelope addressed to "Mrs. Dudley Shirley, Canyon, Texas"; very fine.
2. Six books: 1. Talks on Drawing, Painting, Making, Decorating for Primary Teachers, signed on front free endpaper, "Georgia O'Keeffe/ April 11-1917"; 2. Custom Design and Home Planning, signed on a preliminary blank page, "Georgia O'Keeffe/ Sep. - 17/ Canyon - Texas"; 3. Fine and Industrial Arts in Elementary Schools, signed on front free endpaper, "Georgia O'Keeffe/ University - Virginia/ August 5th. 1913."; 4. Hand Work for Kindergartens and Primary Schools, signed on front free endpaper, "Georgia O'Keeffe/ 1108 Fillmore-"; 5. Industrial Arts Design, signed on front free endpaper, "Georgia O'Keeffe/ April 11 - 1917"; 6. The Use of the Plant in Decorative Design for High Schools, signed on front free endpaper, "Georgia O'Keeffe/ May - 1913/ Amarillo - Texas -". All are fine.
3. Period wooden trunk, 36" x 25" x 21"; nailed to the top is a 5" x 2.5" piece of yellow cardboard which carries the inscription "Miss georgia o'keeffe/ Knoxville/ Tenn--/ (Hold until called for)". Stained shipping label (5." X 3.5") affixed to left side dated August 22, 1916, and addressed to Knoxville, Tennessee, though it was never shipped. Wire and lead seal still affixed. "Georgia O'Keeffe" is handwritten as the consignor. The leather handles are missing; outside box has original hardware. The trunk shows wear, though it is still sturdy and full of character. This trunk may have been one of "the two barrels" mentioned in O'Keeffe's letter, though it is not a barrel-top. Good condition.
After moving to Canyon, a young O'Keeffe asked Douglas Shirley, a West Texas State physics professor, and his wife, Willina, if she could rent an upstairs bedroom in their new home. At first they said no because they did not have the money to furnish it or decorate it, but after O'Keeffe assured them that she did not require curtains or furniture, they agreed. She later fondly remembered the open-minded Shirleys as good landlords who respected her privacy.
Fees, Shipping, and Handling Description: Requires 3rd Party Shipping (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
19.5% of the successful bid (minimum $9) per lot.
Opens about 08/30/2017
Opens about 09/01/2017
Jewelry & Timepieces
Opens about 08/25/2017
Opens about 09/06/2017
Opens about 09/05/2017
Opens about 09/05/2017
Opens about 09/12/2017
Opens about 09/20/2017
Opens about 09/22/2017
Fine & Rare Wine
Opens about 09/25/2017
Opens about 09/26/2017
Opens about 09/29/2017
Opens about 10/02/2017
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
Learn about consigning with us
I appreciate all of your work, your expert advice, and the “hand-holding” as I ventured out into the world of the consignments & auctions for the first time!View More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. (Source: Similarweb.com)